Covid’s Affects on Mental Health

Alexis Ray, Reporter

Ever since COVID started there have been many unknowns in the world, which for some people is scary and can damage some students’ mental health. 

There have also been a lot of physical changes happening. The enforcement of wearing masks anytime you go to a store, restaurant, or to school. Because of social distancing and not being able to see friends, the new cohort schedule at Montrose High School where we go to school one week and do online the following week has been difficult for some. With all these changes, some students, teachers and parents have been having a difficult time adjusting to the changes of COVID which can affect one’s mental health and well being. Mental health is a person’s condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being.

Some students at MHS have noticed the effects that COVID has had on them while others think it hasn’t really affected their lives. Sophomore Nicholas Ray said,” It’s been up and down like being home all day really sucked… but how I cope with it is either playing video games or being around someone who makes me feel happy and good about myself.” 

Other students like Senior Logan Righter said,” COVID hasn’t really changed my life but has just given me more time to do what I want since you can’t shut down the outdoors. I live under a philosophy that you can only be affected by what you let affect you.” 

Students aren’t the only ones being affected. Teachers and parents are also being affected by the changes of COVID as well. Professional school counselor at MHS, Krista Brundage said,” I did a webpage this year for parents, it’s on our counseling webpage called Parents and Guardians Support Site because I know they’re home more. I know that parents are in this boat as well and they’re struggling.” The website listed below is a tool designed for parents.

https://sites.google.com/mcsd.org/aparentsplacemcsd/home

Montrose 9th and 10th grade teacher Debra Biremann said,” This is the hardest I’ve ever worked since my first year of teaching. I’m definitely working a lot later, a lot harder and there’s been a lot of tears.”

The important part to keep in mind is that everyone is going through this as a community and no one is alone. It’s also important to make sure you’re keeping up with your mental health. 

If you or someone you know is struggling, think of some ways to improve your mental health. That may be by exercising, doing breathing exercises, finding things you enjoy doing, talking to friends and family, playing with pets, ect.