Indians Soccer off to a Good Start

Charles Hunt, Sports Writer

The Montrose Indians boys Soccer Team lost to the Delta Panthers 5-4 after double overtime in the first game of the season on Monday, March 15th. The Indians also played the next day, Tuesday March 16th and beat the Grand Junction Central Warriors 4-0.  

The Delta game came down to the wire with the score 4-4 at the end of regulation. No goals were scored in the first overtime and the Panthers came away with the win in the second overtime. Junior Aiden Harrel scored a goal along with sophomore Quincy Cooling, junior Adriel Encarncaion, and senior Diego Vargas contributing goals as well. 

“We started out pretty rough with that loss to Delta, but it was the first game and we have a young Varsity team this year,” senior J.T. Imus said.

The Indians went into the game vs Central coming off of the loss to Delta with low morale. In the first half of the game 1 goal was scored by the Indians keeping the game close. In the second half the Indians pulled away scoring 3 goals leaving the final score 4-0. Senior Diego Vargas scored a goal along with junior Aiden Harrel, sophomore Quincy Cooling, and junior Adriel Encarncaion scoring.

The Indians sit at a 1-1 record going into Friday’s game and are hoping for another win against Fruita coming off of their win against Central.

“In our first game we struggled as a team to stay composed and I feel like that’s the reason we lost. Especially since we have a young team, everyone was nervous, but we came back around in the second game vs Central and got a win. If we can play like we did then, I think it will give us a chance vs Fruita,” senior Diego Vargas said.

The Indians team captain this year is senior J.T. Imus who is the only returning defender for the Indians.

“I really want to get the younger defenders up to the varsity level this year, it always takes a couple of games on varsity before the nerves go away and you can really start playing your best,” Imus said, “but with only 10 games this year they have a lot of pressure on them, I just want to help them make that transition from Junior varsity to the varsity level and leave them as well off as I can for the next year after I’m gone,” Imus said.

The Indians next game will be Friday March 19th against the Fruita Monument Wildcats.