Indians Losing Streak Continues

Charles Hunt, Sports Writer

The Montrose boys soccer team beat the Durango Demons 1-0 at home on Saturday, March 27th. The Indians then traveled to Durango to vs the Demons and lost 5-1 on Thursday, April 1st. The Indians next game was at home vs the Grand Junction Tigers, where they lost 2-4 on Tuesday April 6th. The Indians are now on a two game losing streak following Tuesday’s loss.

“Regarding our losing streak I believe we just need to go back to our roots and forget about those two losses.” junior Aiden Harrel said, “ as a team this year I think our season is going about as good as it can right now with such an inexperienced and fresh team considering we only have 6 upperclassman playing right now.” Harrel said.

The Indians first win vs the Demons at home wasn’t a game with much action with only one goal being scored by junior Adriel Encarnacion. 

“I have to keep my head up right now, I haven’t scored in our last two games since the first game vs Durango, it takes a toll on you a bit but I’ll be ok because my teammates have my back and I just need to focus on the games ahead.” junior Adriel Encarnacion said.

The Indians traveled to Durango and took a very unfortunate loss with a score of 5-1 with the Demons winning. Junior Aiden Harrel scored the Indians only goal. 

“Personally I am disappointed with how I’ve done lately and I’m always trying to improve myself and to show I am the best on the field, although I’ve scored a fair amount this season and assisted just as many and I always seek more for myself.” Harrel said.

The Indians played on the 6th and took a loss to the Grand Junction Tigers 2-4. The Indians two goals were from senior Diego Vargas and sophomore Quincy Cooling. 

“We need to improve on defense and that has been our struggle all year, and I think we can beat Junction because they aren’t the better team and we will prove that next Wednesday.” senior Diego Vargas said. 

The Indians were league champions last year and are looking for the same result this year. With a win in their next two games the Indians could be league champions again. The Indians sit at 2nd place in the league with a record of 4-3 behind the Grand Junction Tigers. 

“As a group we need to focus on our next game and go from there, we can’t dwell on the past games. We played two really good teams and we just need to collect ourselves mentally,” Adriel Encarnacion said, “ we played great games and there’s nothing else we can do except push through the next two games and win.”

The Indians next game will be against the Grand Junction Tigers at home on Wednesday April 14th