MHS Indians Last Hoorah at Homecoming

MHS Indians Last Hoorah at Homecoming

Kylie Lange, Editor

After 91 years of being the Montrose High School Indians, and finally retiring the mascot, MHS felt the need for 2021 homecoming week to encourage students and staff to yet again abuse the offensive mascot by encouraging dressing up in “Indian”  apparel.
   The theme for homecoming this year at MHS is celebrating the last year getting to be Montrose Indians after 91 years. The start to the week is wearing all the old apparel with the logo and name on it, in an effort to celebrate the original pride of Montrose.
It went as far as to make the central theme for the dance Indian Throwback to show what the name and mascot meant to the school. However the reason for removing the mascot after 91 years is so we are no longer appropriating the culture that surrounds the Indian.
From the Washington Football Team that had to be changed from the Redskins down to high schools and elementary schools, native tribes and people have been pushing the last several years to remove this mascot for racism. The original Indian mascot first appeared as a Native American man with offensive over exaggerated features and was heavily over stereotyped and often seen with a headdress.
Over the years there have been attempts to correct the stereotype we once portrayed but considering this is the only ethnic group to be a mascot, it has been forced to be taken down. Last year Montrose tried to reach out to the tribe our mascot originated from but we were not given the right to use it any longer so this is the last year we can use the name.
Yet people in Montrose cannot seem to grasp the idea of why this would be the least bit offensive. Many people are still mad that their beloved mascot that they grew up and went to school with is “being taken away.”
Mascots are supposed to represent animals and in some cases humans to promote a common identity. But the said mascot shouldn’t be named after a popular slur and portrayed as a savage. Celebrating something some consider racially inappropriate for a homecoming theme is taking a step back from what we were trying to fix.
Even the name Indians is offensive to Native Americans because it was a slur used by Christopher Columbus because he didn’t know who they were. Whoever was in charge of running homecoming should feel ashamed.
I for one am embarrassed to be going to a high school that needs to celebrate their precious mascot “one last time” instead of considering a group of oppressed peoples feelings.