District C candidates Murphy and Neal run for MCSD school board

Kate Donohoe

Mail-in ballot for Montrose County School District’s 2021 School Board elections. Candidates listed include Jeff Bachman for District A, Andrew Neal and Alice Murphy for District C, Cortney Loyd and Sarah Fishering for District E, Dawn Schieldt and Eric Kelley for District F, and Stephen Bush for District G.

Kate Donohoe, News Reporter

Montrose community members Alice Murphy and Andrew Neal are running opposite each other as candidates for a District C, four year term on the Montrose County School District School Board for the upcoming November 2, 2021 election.

Thus far, two forums have been held for candidates from districts A, C, E, F, and G to publicly share their platforms and answer questions from the community.

Alice Murphy, a retired teacher who spent 35 years at Olathe Elementary School, has served in several offices of the Delta Kappa Gamma(DKG) Society of Women Educators and has been a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for children put through the court system. She currently teaches Zumba and Yoga at Gold’s Gym.

“I’m very grateful to this school district and would like an opportunity to help and support the students, teachers, parents, and community of Montrose and Olathe,” Murphy said.

If elected, Murphy plans to focus first on familiarizing herself with current school board policies, then on improving facilities and bringing students up to and above state standards.

“According to the master plan that was recently done we will probably need to look at improvement of facilities at the Early Childhood Center and Montrose High School,” Murphy said. “Montrose County’s population is growing so we need to look at the future with our facilities to make sure there will be room in our schools for that growth.”

Running opposite Murphy for the District C seat is Andrew Neal, a project manager/technician for Peak Alarm.

“I feel that now is an important time to run for school board being a concerned taxpayer about the future of our community,” Neal said

Neal is running on a similar platform to Cortney Loyd and Dawn Schieldt, who are running for the District E and F seats respectively, and place focus on giving the power back to the parents of students within the district. If elected, Neal first hopes to review different curriculum options with an emphasis on history, the Constitution, and patriotism.

“The main changes that need to be addressed would be to the curriculum and policy,” Neal said. “I would hope we could make those changes with input and direction from the parents.”

Voter information regarding all candidates is available at:

https://www.mcsd.org/BoardElections.aspx

https://www.vote411.org/ballot