Class of 2022: Arnett

Xavier Amaro, Senior Feature Reporter

Naphia Arnett says her favorite part of high school is the fact that it really helped prepare her for adulthood and taught her some helpful life lessons such as the importance of being kind to others regardless of their response. She really enjoyed attending sports games and supporting MHS teams from the stands. 

After high school, Arnett plans to attend CSU- Colorado Springs campus to follow in the footsteps of other family members.  She plans to earn her sonography license. She’s interested in this field of work because of the short education requirement, the pay, and she is interested in the health care industry. She has already started working towards her goal by attending a CNA class during high school.

“The CNA program was amazing and taught me skills such as CPR, and how you should value your life. Not only did I learn the benefits of a CNA, I also learned to remember things in life and live it to the fullest,” Arnett said.

Arnett also played a little bit of lacrosse here and there as she attended a few open gym scrimmages and she really enjoyed it, although she hasn’t played for the team yet, she hopes to try it out and join the team for her last year of high school.

“I really like the idea of the sport and since a lot of my family members play and enjoy the game. I’d like to give it a shot. A lot of people say lacrosse doesn’t count as a sport. Although I was one of those people, I gave it a shot and realized that I love it,” Arnett said.

Other than playing around and having fun with the lacrosse stick, Arnett has also had a bit of experience with basketball. She’s played basketball all through middle school, but stopped playing her sophomore year due to COVID-19. She says that she unfortunately lost love for the sport and her athletic personality lead her to lacrosse. 

Arnett says she feels as if she handles herself and others quite differently than most. She tries to think of other’s and how her actions might affect them.

“I feel like a lot of kids our age don’t have the sense to try and understand anyone but themselves. I enjoy seeing other perspectives while getting my point across to where all parties have a fair understanding.

A piece of advice from Naphia is: “don’t let things in life stop you from doing what you want to do. It’ll get hard but you gotta just push through.”