Being a women athlete

United+States+Womens+National+Soccer+team+wins+the+World+Cup+in+2019+for+the+second+time.+

United States Womens National Soccer team wins the World Cup in 2019 for the second time.

Josie Coulter, Reporter

At Montrose High School the amount of talent, creativity, and hard work that walks through the hallways is found in the students that thrive here, but if we narrow it down to the athleticism that is given out and worked hard for by the women at MHS, adversity and dedication is something these ladies have in common. 

Through the wide range of athletic talent at MHS, a sport that is never given enough recognition as a sport due to its femininity. This sport has its followers practicing outside the school walls due to the lack of a dance team at MHS.  The athletes put in large amounts of time, with practice every week night and even on the weekends, and see their sport go unrecognized.

“Certain people think it’s all tutus and ‘pointy shoes’,” Sophomore, Grace Dejulio said. 

The female dominated sport often loses credit for the title of being a sport through its graceful yet muscular straining activity. Through the mass of women that compete in the sport some find it harder to succeed in competition. 

“I think it can make it harder in some ways because often professional dance companies won’t even take interest in you unless you have something that makes you really stand out because there’s so many other girls just like you,” Dejulio said. 

On the other end, in team sports, several girls from MHS travel an hour and 15 minutes for practice two to four times a week. 

“It’s kind of difficult going to Grand Junction every week for soccer simply because it takes up almost my entire evening and the car isn’t exactly the perfect environment for doing homework,” Freshman, Mia Duncan, said. 

These girls find themselves in a place of determination yet they still face people who put them down for the sport that they love but with that they choose to make themselves better. 

“I’ve been dealing with many types of obstacles in my soccer career that really impacted me and sometimes very negatively. My mindset though was to work even harder and show them up with my play. So I’m a way it really helped me become the player I am today,” Sophomore, Alicea Vigil said. 

Even on the national level, the United States Women’s National Soccer Team, the players face difficulty with insufficient pay in comparison to men.  

“All 28 female players sued the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) — their employer — in U.S. District Court in March, alleging they are paid less than the men and are provided with less support, despite their consistent outstanding performance,” The Washington Post said.

It can be seen all over and even through the eyes of female players at MHS the inequality is relevant but not something that will stand in their way.

“Specifically, in Montrose High School, I think women soccer is less supported than men’s soccer. I feel like all sports have a certain reputation and are made fun of by other athletes and so it’s kind of up to me to prove people wrong,” Duncan said. 

“Occasionally yes but all in all I believe the soccer program as a whole should be looked at more. Instead of comparing either the men or women. A lot of other sports have many things the soccer program is lacking,” Vigil said. 

Through this perspective the athletes believe that it is up to them to prove the worth of women athletics and that it deserves just as much credit. 

“As a female I feel like we simply have to work harder in order to get a title and to prove that women can do what men can do,” Duncan said.