Is the Corona virus killing the arts?

Montrose Daily Press

Josie Coulter, Reporter

In times of masks, quarantine, and vital hand washing it is in the best interest of the people to do all of this, but in the musical realm the horns have been silenced and it is quiet in the competition stadiums for high school band students. 

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) to be part of concerts shouldn’t be a problem as long as some guidelines are taken. 

“A gathering refers to a planned or spontaneous event, indoors or outdoors, with a small number of people participating or a large number of people in attendance such as a community event or gathering, concert, festival, conference, parade, wedding, or sporting event,” the CDC said. 

Although digging deeper into some of the guidelines placed by other organizations, such as the CBA (Colorado Bandmasters Association), it can be seen that such CDC requirements lead to devastating outlooks for the Montrose High School band students.

“CBA has been communicating with CHSAA, BOA/Music for All, organizations from other states as well as following communications from the Governor’s office, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the CDC, and directives from various school districts around the State of Colorado…. On July 7, 2020 the Colorado Bandmasters Association Marching Committee voted to cancel the fall 2020 Marching Band Season. This includes all marching band clinics, independent contests, CBA Regionals and CBA State Championships,” CBA said. 

At MHS the students participating in Marching Band have missed competition three years in a row.  Two years due to weather and now the coronavirus. 

“It’s a little hard to see other activities and clubs continue as normal given that our competitions were cancelled back in July, but our director Mrs. Loyd has done a really great job of trying to keep us motivated and working hard so we can come back next year stronger,” Julia Beshoar, a Junior, said. 

The next few years might be a little hard for the performers considering the difficult and lower standards of learning this year. 

“It’ll be interesting to see where the band heads these next few years. I think it’ll be tough to really dial focus in for our next competitive season, just because this year has been a little more laid back. But I also think that because we had this season taken away from us, that makes next season all the more exciting,”  Beshoar said.

On the bigger and broader front of the music industry, Earth Wind and Fire is keeping the good and upbeat attitude looking forward to the new year. 

“2021 should prove to be a good year,” Ralph Dickerson, Earth Wind and Fire’s road manager, said. 

The band hopes to continue to play and perform with precautions to execute safety at their venues including masks and less ticket sales.

“We are all struggling with this, but we have got to be smart and safe,” Dickerson said. 

The composers are keeping their fingers crossed with no cancellations just yet. 

“We have postponed all concerts till next year, haven’t cancelled any as of yet,” Dickerson said. 

Hopefully by 2021 the musical arts will be able to flourish again, with Covid guidelines in place, and be equally as important to the citizens as the common football game.